Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Match Game

Every so often I get a kick out of a vivid memory I have from my childhood.  If I close my eyes, I can see myself sitting in the back of a car, seeing a speed limit sign and wondering about rules…all the rules to be exact.  I remember thinking there had to be a book where they were all kept, and I would probably need to figure out how I could see it so I could be careful not to break any.  I suppose I’ve always been a pretty consistent rule follower….and while I’m certainly not a blindly compliant person, I do- for the most part- appreciate the presence of rules and order.  That being said, some rules are…as the saying goes…meant to be broken.  This is especially true in the world of design.  I noticed one such example of blatant yet fabulous rule breaking in the series ‘Pushing Daisies’ and the idea has enamored me ever since.  In the show (which, coincidently, happens to be one of my favorite series of all time) one of the characters lives in an apartment that takes “matchy-matchy” to a whole new level.  




I’m sure there’s a valid argument that the pictures above of her toile-ridden bedroom and floral living room (complete with matching robe) belong high in the “have-you-lost-your-mind” category of decorating…but there’s something about them that made me want to explore the idea of matching decor a little further.  Maybe this is one of those ideas that’s so wrong it’s right?  Or a classic ‘everything old is new again’ nod to back in the day when the look was in style?  I guess we’ll never know for sure…but, love it or hate it- you’ve gotta admit it makes a statement.  The difference between achieving the look and missing it lies in pattern selection.  I did some research on companies that make matching wallpaper and fabric…after a thorough search, I found the most impressive selections were carried by Thiabaut,HarlequinJane ChurchhillZoffany, and Romo.  Here are a few of the most interesting rooms I found in this style- enjoy!
















0 comments:

Post a Comment