Monday, April 19, 2010

Picnic Time...Surry on Down

A few months ago I decided I wanted to transfer some of our old family home videos to DVD.  I gathered a stack of videocassettes, searched the house for our one remaining VHS player, and started sifting through the tapes in an effort to choose the best ones.  The afternoon played out like an episode of This Is Your Life…I laughed, cried, and felt invigorated revisiting memories that I could only formerly recall as a whisper.  In one particular home video I’m about four years old and asked if I have anything I’d like to say.  Never one to turn down the opportunity to have a word, I proceeded to ramble on for a bit and concluded with “I love my parents, I love my brother, I love my cousins, but most of all…most of all…most of all I love my Daddy”.  Twenty years have come and gone since that moment in time, but I’m no less of a Daddy’s girl now than I was then…which is why I’m so excited that my Dad is in town visiting me for the next couple of days!  I’ve got quite a few fun activities on the agenda for while he’s here, but I’m particularly excited about the picnic we’re planning tomorrow at a local vineyard.  There’s something about a Spring picnic that equals guaranteed fun to me, if you haven’t taken one recently you really should put it on your to-do list!  And because we want every space you occupy to be as lovely as possible, we picked out some perfect picnic gear for you.  Here are our finds.

Baskets    



An orthodox picnic-er would tell you picnic isn’t a truly a picnic without a basket.  This one from Crate&Barrel is on sale for $11.95 down from $19.95.  It’s cute, affordable, and perfect for an afternoon in the park.  
      

When I think about a perfect picnic, the basket in my imagination looks a lot like this red gingham lined Festival Basket for two.  It comes with with plates, mugs, and utensils and a 100% lifetime warranty (I’m not even sure what that means in terms of picnic baskets, but that’s what the website says!).  It’s $40 and straight off picnicbaskets.com- what more could you ask for?
               

For the ultimate basket experience, you’ve gotta have a Longaberger.  This particular basket will cost you about $140, but you can sleep tight knowing you’re the proud owner or the Ferrari of the basket community.  Longaberger is dead serious about their baskets...going so far as to build their seven story, 180,000 square foot office building in the shape of one of their models.  Unbelievable as it is, the picture below is no joke.


Blankets

               
This $20 classic red tartan blanket by Sutherland is waterproof, cushioned, and folds into a convenient carrying case.  It’s designed to be an outdoor blanket, so while it won’t keep all of you safe from rain, it will at least protect your bottom side.


If you’re itching to go on a picnic, don’t have an appropriate blanket and can’t wait 5-7 business days for your online purchase to arrive, than run by Sears and pick up this $35 tote and blanket set.  We loved the fact that it’s machine washable, so you can use it in the great outdoors and snuggle up in it on your couch all in the same afternoon.


The most comfortable, outdoor friendly option we found were these Mambe blankets.  They have all the best features of the other choices we’ve shown you- 100% waterproof nylon lining, a machine washable material, super soft fleece...the works.  They’re $109, but worth the investment if you’re looking to picnic like a king.

0 comments:

Post a Comment