Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Foodie Files

I've said it before and I'll say it again- there's just nothing quite like the feeling you get when you finally satisfy a craving.  My most recent obsession was Italian sausage soup...I found myself Googling it, I couldn't stop talking about it, I even called my angel of a grandmother and had her list every possible set of ingredients.  By the time I finally got around to making the dang soup I could barely wait the hour it takes to cook.  Thankfully it turned out really, really well...I think anything less than delicious would have broken my heart.  Seriously, though- try the soup.  It's all kinds of good.

Ingredients:

1 shallot clove, diced
1 lb mild Italian sausage (or 5 links, de-cased)
7 celery stalks, thickly diced
2 cups tomatoes, cubed
2 cups shredded carrots, chopped
3 zucchini, cubed
2 cups baby spinach
3 cups fresh cheese tortellini
32 oz beef broth
32 oz low sodium beef broth
32 oz water
Pecorino Romano cheese
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

In a medium saute pan, brown diced shallots in extra virgin olive oil, then add sausage.  Layer two paper towels on a plate and set aside.  While you wait for the sausage to brown, dice up all your veggies.  For whatever reason I always underestimate the amount of time this takes.

  

When sausage is cooked through, remove it from the pan with a slotted spoon and place it on the plate you prepared so it can drain further.  The last thing you want in your healthy, delicious soup is grease.


Pour your broth and water into a large stockpot and add the drained sausage and all the veggies except spinach.  Cover and cook for 50 minutes over medium heat.


Add tortellini and cook for 7 minutes more, then serve.


Let guests add their spinach just before they eat, it cooks almost instantly in the bowl.  Add it any sooner and you've got a wilted mess on your hands.


For the finishing touch, grate up a little Pecorino Romano cheese and call it a day.  Happy eating!

0 comments:

Post a Comment