Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Foodie Files

One of the first things my Mom made in the mini pie maker I got her for Christmas was a crazy delicious savory meat pie.  Since I've been craving the flavors ever since, I thought I'd give my own version a try.  I didn't have a mini pie maker available and I've never worked with puff pastry before but I had a 'how hard can this be?' moment in the grocery store and decided to go for it.  Turns out, not too hard at all.  I learned a few things for next time (don't let the dough defrost too much, use a slotted spoon when you transfer the meat, make sure you add the cheese before you seal, etc.) but it was tasty enough to ensure there will be a next time, so that's always a plus.  My favorite thing about them was they really captured the authentic Spanish flavors we grew up on...had my Mom been available to fly in for dinner, I think she would've been proud.

Ingredients:
Extra virgin olive oil
1/2 large shallot clove, diced
1 1/2 lbs 90/10 ground beef
1 can of diced tomatoes
1/3 cup diced spanish olives
3 TBS sofrito
1 cup monteray jack, colby and cheddar cheese mix
2 sheets puff pastry
1 egg
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Saute shallots for about 5 minutes, then season, brown and drain meat.  Add and sofrito, tomatoes, olives and let simmer for 15 minutes.  


Cut puff pastry dough in half...


...and place meat on the far end of the dough.


Add cheese...


...and fold over.  


Use a fork to seal edges and lightly wash with egg.


Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake for 15-17 minutes.  I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, but was thrilled with how they turned out!  This one's a keeper.

0 comments:

Post a Comment