Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Foodie Files

Occasionally I'll hear something I don't want to be true, so I just decide not to do any more research on the matter...you know, just in case I'm accidentally convinced.  If that sounds irresponsible or ridiculous, it's cause it is.  It's one of those terrible things you probably shouldn't say out loud (whoops) but, more likely than not, you've been guilty of at one point or another.  The most recent idea I was not trying to hear had to do with the fact that the processed wheat I eat in nearly every meal might not be all that good for me.  In fact, it may very well be bad for me.  My family circulated the book Wheat Belly around over Christmas and the author makes some interesting, valid arguments.  Now let me just say upfront, I won't be cutting all wheat out of my diet...I don't have that kind of willpower.  I did, however, think it might be interesting to give a few new recipes a try.  This particular recipe for lamb meatballs is one of my parents' favorites.  Instead of spaghetti, we tried serving it with spaghetti squash...just for experimental purposes, of course.  Come to find out, it's delicious.  Moral of the story: it's always good to know you have options...and tasty options at that.

Ingredients:
1 medium shallot, diced
Extra virgin olive oil
1 lb ground lamb
1/2 cup Piave cheese
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
6 large sage leaves, chopped
1 egg
Tomato sauce
Salt and pepper to taste

Piave cheese is a tad expensive and sometimes hard to come by, so if you have to substitute it with a Locatelli or Romano cheese, feel free to do so.  If you can get your hands on Piave, by all means grate it up and use it.


In a large saute pan, brown chopped shallots in extra virgin olive oil.  While they're browning, mix ground lamb, grated cheese, sage, quinoa, and egg until ingredients evenly distributed.  


Roll into (more or less) 1 1/2 inch well packed balls and brown alongside shallots.


Drain excess oil, add tomato sauce and cook on medium low for 30-40 minutes.  Then, enjoy!


Aaaaand one picture with the spaghetti squash...I'm telling you, it's good. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment