Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Foodie Files

After- literally- years of Googling, generally considering, and wondering what it might taste like, I finally went ahead and made Oprah's favorite turkey burgers last night.  Though I was never a devoted follower of hers, I do have a healthy respect for her opinion...at least as far as it relates to the turkey burger arena.  I mean, it's Oprah...if she says something tastes good it's gotta be pretty legit.  Even though my expectations were absolutely through the roof, the burger measured up pretty well!  It was quite delightful, really.  And now if I ever meet Oprah we'll have something to talk about, so that's a plus too.  

Ingredients:
1/4 cup scallion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
2 granny smith apples, peeled and diced
1/8 cup canola oil
3 lbs ground turkey breast
1 lemon, juice and zest of
1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Sauté scallions, celery and apples in canola oil over medium heat until tender (about 5-7 minutes).   Let cool.



Place the ground turkey in a large mixing bowl.  Add sautéed items and the remaining ingredients. 



Shape into eight burgers.  Cover and refrigerate for about half an hour.



Place on a preheated, lightly oiled grill...I'm not gonna lie, we used a George Forman and it worked great.  Grill each side for 7 minutes until meat is thoroughly cooked (or between 10-15 minutes total for a George Forman).



I topped my burger with goat cheese and avocado and served it alongside a host of summer vegetables (including but not limited to: corn on the cob, steamed edamame, and two delicious treats my cousin, Nikki, whipped up...broccoli slaw and jicima and cucumber salad).  Summer was made for meals like this.

0 comments:

Post a Comment