Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Foodie Files

It's no secret that I love cooking for my family and friends...I'll take the opportunity to make something delicious for our little crew ten out of ten times.  But tonight, in a sweet twist of events, my precious cousin, Jon, offered to make dinner for me!  For all of us, actually...and good gracious was it delicious!  Since preparing a main course wasn't on my agenda, I had some extra time to focus on my contribution for the night- dessert.  I decided to go with a Jack Daniel's bread pudding that ended up being a real crowd pleaser.  In terms of taste, I recommend it whole heartedly (and then some)...in terms of your general wellness...let's just say it's not the healthiest dessert I've ever posted and leave it at that.  I saw a variation of the recipe here, but made some adjustments to better suit it to my taste.  Believe it or not, the original was even more outrageous.  The recipe here will cost you some calories but good heavens is it worth it...mmmMmm...so, so good!

Ingredients: 
Bread Pudding-
16 cups (about 1 1/2 loaves) cubed challah bread
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup tightly packed brown sugar
3 TBS butter, melted
10 eggs, beaten
2 cups half & half
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup milk
1 TBS vanilla extract
1/4 cup Jack Daniel’s

Jack Daniel's Sauce-
16 oz butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy whip cream
1/4 cup Jack Daniels

Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees.  Dice bread and place into a large bowl (go for the biggest one you have...trust me).


Combine the brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon in another large container.  Mix well until blended.  Add eggs, melted butter, half and half, heavy whipping cream, milk, vanilla and bourbon to the brown sugar mix.  Mix with a wire whip until well blended.


Grease a 13 x 9 x 2 inch glass baking pan and add bread.  Pour egg mixture over bread cubes and mix gently.  


Place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes...be sure not to overcook.  Now for the sauce!

Melt the butter over medium heat, then add brown sugar.  Whisk constantly until the sugar is dissolved. Slowly add heavy whipping cream then remove from heat.  Add Jack Daniel's and mix well. 

Pour generously over individually plated portions of bread pudding.  Seriously people...amazing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment