Wednesday, February 5, 2014

3 Ideas

It seems Facebook's 10th anniversary has made saps of us all.  I've only watched a few of my friends' look-back movie thingamajigs but it is touching to see some of the moments that defined their last few years.  I spent a little time this week unpacking actual photo albums at my parents' new house (from the pre-Facebook era, of course) and I couldn't help but flip through their gloriously embarassing pages.  I laughed, I cried, I got the whole subscription.  Even amongst the very cute baby pictures, hilarious costumes and numerous events captured, my favorite was the one below.  It may not be as picturesque as some of the others I thumbed through but the sentiment sure is strong.  To make a long story short, my Mom took this picture of my brother and I on a family vacation…I think it's probably the very first time we ever sat and talked for hours, just for the sake of soaking up each other's company.  I always thought of him as a really great brother but I think I'd pin point this as the moment we became friends.  Pictures like this remind me of the power of reflection…especially in a world where we tend to focus so much on our problems and so little on our joys.  That being said:   


1. We've gotta start with the obvious…pull out some old photo albums/yearbooks/boxes of cards and ticket stubs/etc.  Speaking from very recent experience, it's one of the best ways to take a fun stroll down memory lane.

2. Think of a few songs you really connected with during happy moments of your life.  Jimmy Durante's 'Make Someone Happy' makes me think of road trips with Jessie, Rod Stewart's "Oh La La" takes me back to college with DC and Rich, James Taylor's "You Can Close Your Eyes" stirs up memories of all the songs my Dad used to sing to us when we were little…try it and see what you remember!

3. Pin point one major thing you have now that you wished and prayed for at another time in your life…a high school diploma, a spouse, a job, or anything in-between.  Sometimes I get a little overwhelmed by everything that still needs to fall into place in my life but when I reflect on what already has, I feel a sense of calm.  Some wonderful things have unfolded for you…doesn't it feel great to be thankful for a moment and just remember?

0 comments:

Post a Comment