Thursday, May 8, 2014

The Foodie Files

Real talk: I haven't cooked in a long time.  A long, long time.  It's terrible for many reasons, though more than anything else it's just something I really miss doing.  I'll get back on the ball once we're settled, but in the meantime I've got my Dad's AMAZING flan recipe to share.  One of the funny things about having a chicken coop in your backyard is an occasional surplus of eggs...my Dad employs this recipe when they start to stack up (and/or when I beg him to make it like I did today).  

Ingredients:
12 eggs total, 6 yolks, 6 whole
1 cup sugar
1 can evaporated milk
1 can condensed milk


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a heavy skillet over medium-low heat, cook and stir sugar until melted and light brown, about 10 minutes.  Mix eggs with an electric mixer...be careful not to over mix.  Add the rest of the ingredients and blend smooth.  


Carefully pour sugar into a 9 inch round baking dish or bundt pan, tilting the dish to coat the bottom and sides completely.  Pour custard into caramelized mold and place in a hot water bath. 


Fill with water about halfway up bundt pan.  Cover with foil then bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.  Remove from water bath and allow about an hour to come to room temperature.  


Re-cover with foil and refrigerate until cool, then flip and serve!

0 comments:

Post a Comment